The funny thing is that I was never able to surf. I tried and fantasized about being able to surf with the best of them but it was tough and I just couldn't get it. It wasn't meant to be but that was cool. So I became a life-long admirer of those guys AND girls that could. One of my favorites is Kelly Slater - SL8TR - the 10X ASP World Champion (Assoc of Surfing Pros). He is just one of those amazing athletes and a seemingly great person. Here are a few tidbits -
- He is a native Floridian.
- Jan 2011 - GQ named him as one of the 25 coolest athletes of all time
- He is the only one to hold 10 ASP world champion titles including 5 consecutive titles from 1994–98. He is the youngest (at age 20) and the oldest (at age 38) to win the title.
- He is of Irish and Syrian ancestry. Ask him about Irish surfing!
- Sports Illustrated has named him Best Looking Athlete - I'd agree!
So, here is a clip of his 10th title win in November 2010...
Final day of the Rip Curl Pro Search Puerto Rico
(4:21 min - KS at 2:33 :-)
Other cool surfing clips:
- Kelly Slater - 9X ASP World Champion - marketing video but he is just so cool!
- Epic Mavericks Big Wave Surfing (Nov 2008, 4:28 min)
- Incredible 64 Foot Wave - Mike Parsons (1:33 min)
- Irish Winter Surf (4:58 min but start at 2:00 for the cool surf stuff)
I LOVE the ocean - so it's incredibly beautiful and cool to combine surf, travel, sun, awesome entertainment and fun people!