Lollapalooza

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

0022: SUGAR - in moderation of course....

I'm not saying we should eat a million pounds of it but like they say, everything in moderation... Several years ago I read a great little book, The Martini Diet by Jennifer Sander. The book was very entertaining but centered around a moderation philosophy I still like to use today:  


Rule #1: Eat Only the Very Best
Rule #2: Eat Somewhat Less of the Very Best
Rule #3: Only Eat the Best at Mealtime



So, I don't hang out eating lollipops and cotton candy all day - although a little bit on rare occasions :-) ... I typically save my indulgences for the stuff I really love - like macarons, pecan pie ala mode, girly martinis, hot molten chocolate cake with ice cream, or a moderate slice of real cheesecake, or creme brulee or even just a York Peppermint Pattie, ok, ok - I almost lost control of my imagination!! The list can go on for days but the point is, I indulge in the sweets that I think are worth the calories and that aren't typically available to me. Did I mention pistachio gelato!!! 
Right, focus... So, did you know:  
  • During the 16th century, 1 tsp of sugar in London cost about $5.
  • Lemons actually contain more sugar than strawberries.
  • Sugar is a natural preservative which can keep some foods from molding or going bad quickly. 
  • Today, an average American consumes 2-3 pounds of sugar each week.  While at the end of the 19th century (1887-1890), the average American consumed only 5 lbs. per year
  • Brown sugar is actually sugar crystals that have been prepared in molasses syrup.
  • Bacteria in your mouth can feed on sugar and then produce chemicals that can dissolve the white coating. When that happens, cavities form.
  • When your body has all of the energy that it needs from sugar, it converts the excess into fat and stores it. That is one of the reasons why people gain weight.
  • Aside from being used in food, sugar can also be used to help asphalt harden. In addition, it is used in printer inks, textile sizing & finishing, and leather tanning.
          (Tidbits so far Source 1, Source 2.)
  • Sugar is an excellent disinfectant for cuts and scrapes. (Source.) 
  • Sugarcane ethanol - as an alternative fuel option. (Source.)
AND... FOR THE GIRLS   ----   OR GUYS LOOKING FOR GIFTS FOR GIRLS :-)
FRESH, one of my favorite beauty companies, has a Sugar line. They are pioneering the use of sugar's healing and humectant properties in the beauty industry. I love their Sugar lip treatment, worth the extra bucks!
Aquolina Pink Sugar perfume - takes you on a journey through the pleasures and flavors of childhood with a playful blend of vanilla and caramel with a hint of cotton candy - simply fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment