Lollapalooza

Sunday, July 3, 2011

0004: Easy Recipes - Salvadoran Quesadilla


So, I am new to cooking but have had a life long appreciation of good food and the beautiful moments food allows you to share friends and family. About 2 years ago I decided to just try to cook and have had people teach me Spanish, Salvadoran, Jamaican, Chinese and Cajun dishes. Its always so much fun learning from expert home cooks, I feel so embraced by their warmth. And it's hysterical to see how many people are willing to teach you if you just ask. I think they all think this is how I will nab a fantastic husband - I laugh it off and pour more wine! :-)

So, a Salvadoran Quesadilla - is nothing like a Mexican Quesadilla, which I love!!! It is a cheese based coffee cake type thing ("queso" does mean cheese after all)... It is very moist, not too sweet and perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. It's not gorgeous but it is a very local dish and it's delicious! The recipe is as follows:

6 oz Cottage Cheese - I use the low sodium one
3 oz Heavy Cream - I use Fage 0% Greek Yogurt
6 oz Rice Flour
4 oz Parmesan Cheese
1 large egg
2 oz milk - I use 2%
1/4 tsp baking powder
4 oz Crema - there is a "Crema Mexicana" in most major supermarkets but I also use sour cream
4 oz Sugar - I sometimes cut this down to 3 oz

Whisk everything together. (Whisking by hand is fine.) Pour into a 12 1/4 X 8 1/4 X 1 1/4 pan, level out. Sprinkle sesame seeds lightly over the mixture. Preheat oven at 400 then bake for about 20 - 25 minutes or until golden. I actually use little ramekins or my mini muffin pan and just watch out for the golden point.

It's SOOO good. I use the original recipe for special occasions - when calorie counting is not allowed - and use my healthy substitutes when it's just for me or for a calorie conscious friend. This recipe takes no time and the healthy version is just as good. [Note: this "original" recipe is very much substituted for the American grocery stores but the taste is spot on.]

Well, just made some for a dinner party I am headed to. I just had to share.

Thanks Mirta for the recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment