Lollapalooza

Friday, December 2, 2011

0086: Easy Recipes: Morton's Chopped Salad

Yep, from Morton's Steakhouse - Truly easy and delicious!

Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing - ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS - love it!!  


2/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup of water 
1/2 cup dijon mustard
Good Season Italian dressing mix (2 packets)
1 cup extra virgin olive oil


Just whisk everything together and VOILA - deliciousness :-) You should try to let the dressing sit for a few minutes to let the flavors blend. (The dressing will last in the refrigerator for 7 days.) 


This is definitely one of my staple recipes - of only a handful... The salad done in its entirety is amazing and definitely impressive (or maybe just because I don't cook people get easily impressed when I bring something that has more than a couple ingredients :-) But anyway, if I know I have picky eaters then I will keep the onions, bacon and tomatoes (my niece still hates tomatoes) on the side and let people add these, if they'd like to. So, my left over salad dressing is my true joy. For someone that rarely has homemade items in the kitchen it is almost a little luxury and one that I have made myself just makes it that much yummier. 


Long after the party, I can have just some simple iceberg lettuce and maybe some tomatoes and this dressing and I am a happy camper! The following is the full recipe:



Salad Mix

  • medium head iceberg lettuce, washed and dried
  • medium head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
  • 10 -12 frozen artichoke hearts (in brine, not marinated, about 12 ounces drained) or 10 -12 canned artichoke hearts (in brine, not marinated, about 12 ounces drained)
  • cup hearts of palm  (about 12 ounces drained)
  • 1 avocado
  • ounces blue cheese, such as Saga, Maytag (1 cup) or ounces gorgonzola, crumbled (1 cup)
  • 12 -14 slices cooked bacon, slices (crumbled, crisp-cooked bacon strips or equivalent amount of crisp real-bacon bits)
  • 3/4 cup chopped hard-cooked egg (about 2 large eggs)
  • 3/4 cup finely minced red onion
  • 3/4 cup seeded chopped plum tomato


Basically chop everything, put it into a salad bowl, add about 2/3 cup of the dressing and toss. This should serve about 6-8 people. So delicious, I am going to go make some now!

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/mortons-the-steakhouse-chopped-salad-254790#ixzz1fO6vNtv8


30-Day Challenge Update - Yesterday, day 7, I was a mess, didn't do any one of my three simple tasks (Blog-Bike-Draw) but I did run 5 miles - yeah, not on the list I know... BUT day 6 I legitimately did ALL three items :-) so today, Day 8, I am definitely hoping to hit a home run again - I've already drawn and here is my blog... although very rare to hit all three, it is possible, I've done it twice in 8 days!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment