Lollapalooza

Thursday, September 1, 2011

0061: Fage Greek Yogurt


Photo: www.ehow.com
This beauty is more from my taste bud's point of view but nevertheless... I LOVE yogurt and without doubt Fage is my favorite. I actually just had some for breakfast. I only add honey and I literally savor every moment - the taste, texture and visual beauty of this simple treat is just special. 

As I finished my last bite I wondered - who is Fage? How could I know nothing about something I enjoy so much... Here are a few tidbits I came across...
  • Fage S.A. is a Greek dairy company that is headquartered in Athens. The word "φάγε(pronounced fa-yeh) is a verb meaning 'eat!'. 
  • In 1926, Athanassios Filippou opened a small dairy shop in Athens, Greece. At the time, the shop's location was part of the countryside and only had a single train station nearby. Little by little, as travelers would come and go, the store became known for its delicious, creamy, one-of-a-kind yogurt.
  • Fage expanded to the U.S. in 2008, looking to gain a foothold in the American market (which it did). Russell Evans of Fage Yogurt said, "The Greek segment of the U.S. yogurt category was nothing a couple of years ago. Now it's 20%. And there's enormous potential. " In 2008, the plant produced 12,000 tons of yogurt, now it's up to 52,000 tons a year. (Source)
  • In 2007, Fage put a billboard along the route of the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. The ad looked as if a Tweety balloon had gotten stuck in the yogurt. In 2011, Fage began airing "its first TV advertisement in N. America," featuring voiceover work by actor William Dafoe. Check them out...
Agency: Ogilvy
I think Tweety was cute but the 2011 advertising campaign was beautiful!!! Mullen (Boston-based advertising agency) succeeded Ogilvy (who had worked with Fage for three years). Here is a cool dairy shot from the campaign with the commercial clip below...
Psyop created the imagery.
Agency: Mullen
Fage was looking for some way to define "Plain Extraordinary" - something different to distinguish them from all the other yogurts out there... (Source: "I am obsessed with... a yogurt commercial???" - A Just Recompense blog.)
LOVE IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment