Lollapalooza

Saturday, October 22, 2011

0072: Cimetière du Père Lachaise - Paris, France

In honor of our "dark" Halloween season, today I am highlighting one of the most beautiful cemeteries I have ever been to. I know, who goes to cemeteries?? Maybe it was my New Orleans upbringing... whatever the draw, I am so glad I went - it is a spectacular place. These are some of my shots:

I saw this angel towards the end of my walk and thought it was so peaceful.
She was huge and almost protective of those nearby. 
This sculpture - as so many in this cemetery - captures such sadness and grief, it captured me.
It also reminded me that the pain left behind with those that love you is unimaginable.
A mother's grief...
A lover's grief...
A sibling's grief...
A child's grief...
The artists that create these sculptures are amazing. 
Sometimes there was so much for the eye to absorb it was easy to miss a lot
but the life sized pieces almost reached out and touched you.  
I thought this one was a person at first...
I'll never let you go...
Why???
And of course a place like this must have its celebrities...
Oscar Wilde had SO many kisses, a rock star!
Delacroix
Balzac
Chopin
I could imagine this one saying, "C'est la vie..."
These art sculptures made me forget I was in a cemetery...
Then there were the pensive ones...
This one might be thinking he didn't do enough - the tortured soul of an artist...
Forever lost in thought... 
It was fun while it lasted...
It's not so bad here...
The walkways were narrow and beautiful...
it was almost of scavenger hunt.

I will caution you that if you ever go, don't lose track of closing time. I not only lost track but I literally got lost. The sun was setting and the shadows growing, the temperature dropping and my goose bumps screaming... I saw some cool Goth kids sneaking in for the night while I was trying to race my way out before my heart stopped. Now of course I find it funny but at the time I was freaked! It was one of the scariest - but coolest - moments and yes, I had ventured on my cemetery tour alone so I am officially nuts!!! I spent hours here despite thinking I would be in and out quick...
But next time I will know better - it was so worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment